Home

The Daly Ditches Irrigation District (DDID) was formed as a Public Corporation organized under the laws of the state of Montana in 1982.  DDID manages 9 main ditches totaling 72 miles in length.  From The Old Darby Road to just beyond Popham Lane DDID services 1,986 water users representing 14,837 acres.

Water Order

Permits

Daly Ditches requires permits for any work performed on, in or around any of our ditches, structures or easements. Please contact the Office at 406-363-1130 for further information.

About

DDID Policies

The District delivers up to 6/10’s of an acre foot per month per irrigated acre when sufficient water is available. Operation and maintenance roads along the main canal are for district access only. These roads are not public roads. Lateral maintenance (cleaning of ditches) from the main canal to the point of delivery is the responsibility of the users of the lateral. Water will not be delivered to laterals that have not been properly maintained.

For a more detailed look at our rules and regulations take a peek at the DDID By-Laws and Policies.

Board of Commissioners

Division 1
Nancy Bender
633 Fish Hatchery Rd
Hamilton, MT 59840
360-1666
Area covered: Old Darby Rd to Fish Hatchery Rd

Division 2
Dennis Moore
402 Fish Hatchery Rd
Hamilton, MT 59840
381-1028
Area covered: Fish Hatchery Rd to Golf Course Rd

Division 3
Gabe Leonardi
1089 Tammany Ln
Hamilton, MT 59840
363-3240
Area covered: Golf Course Rd to Hamilton Heights Rd

Division 4
Henry Tintzman
1064 Honey House Rd
Corvallis MT 59828
531-7140
Area covered: Hamilton Heights Rd to Willow Creek Rd

Division 5
Mary Rodriguez
657 Quast Ln
Corvallis, MT 59828
370-4559
Area covered: Willow Creek Rd to Bailey Ln

History

Marcus Daly, wealthy copper king, arrived in the Bitter Root Valley in 1887. He acquired an extensive estate, built a considerable mansion, and founded the town of Hamilton, which he named after one of his foremen. His arrival marked the expansion of irrigation activities in the valley. He enlarged and expanded the already existing Hedge Irrigation Ditch, and bought the Republican Irrigation Ditch. He also built a canal from the Bitterroot River to lands near Hamilton, reclaiming thousands of acres of bench land on the west side of the valley. He developed plans to extend the irrigation system to the east side of the valley as well, however, his death on November 12, 1900, halted those plans.

The Republican Ditch was originally constructed by the Republican Ditch Company prior to the year 1885 and in 1907 was conveyed to the Ravalli Land and Irrigation Company and by it deeded to the State Water Conservation Board on October 1, 1942.

The Ward, Skalkaho Hi-Line and Hedge Ditches were constructed for the most part by the late Marcus Daly. After his death, the right-of-ways and water rights were conveyed to the Ravalli Land and Irrigation Company on December 20, 1901. From that company, the ditches were conveyed to the State Water Conservation Board on October 1, 1942

In 1979, a statute was enacted directing the DNRC to abandon or transfer the Daly Ditch Water Project by December 31, 1982. On December 17, 1982 Daly Ditches Irrigation District was declared a public corporation for the promotion of public welfare.

Contact


View Larger Map

Daly Ditches Irrigation District
566 Tammany Ln
Hamilton, MT 59840
(406) 363-1130
water@dalyditches.com

Rhonda King – Office Manager
Tim Meuchel – Field Manager
Dustin Nielson – Republican Ditch
Scott Wilke – Hedge Ditch
Pat Dickerson – Skalkaho Hiline, Gird Hiline,
Ward, Hughes, Reeser, Thompson and Studbarn